What are company secretarial services?
Company secretarial services are not, as the name suggests, clerical or secretarial in the traditional sense of the word. They relate to a senior level administrative function in an organisation, ensuring good corporate governance, effective administration and compliance with all legislation, laws and regulations that govern its business and industry.
What does it involve?
Good corporate governance practices and the Companies Act, 2008 require that two important functions are fulfilled in an organisation:
- First, the company and its directors must comply with the Companies Act and/or with the various sets of legislation and laws that govern their business.
- Secondly, the organisation must establish and maintain certain company records and has ongoing responsibilities with regard to the holding and recording of meetings, interactions with shareholders and stakeholders and engagement with government authorities.
What can we offer you?
Our company secretarial practice, together with our corporate and commercial department, strives to offer an all-inclusive, integrated approach to corporate governance, compliance and secretarial services.
We provide a full spectrum of company secretarial services to private companies, public and state-owned companies, non-profit companies, close corporations as well as external and foreign companies.
Our focus areas are:
Company secretarial services
- Company name reservations
- Defensive company name registrations
- Shelf company registrations
- Registration of external companies
- Incorporation of new companies
- Attending to the registration of company changes (including company names, new directors and address changes)
- Conversion of close corporations to companies
- Conversion of one company to another
- Adoptions and registration of MOIs
- Share conversions
- Registration of special resolutions
- Lodging of audited annual financial statements in XBRL format
- Filing of annual returns
- Reinstatement of companies or close corporations
- Deregistration of companies or close corporations
- Liquidation of companies or close corporations
- Obtaining copies of company documents
- Maintaining company registers
- Allotment and transfer of shares
- Maintaining and retaining statutory records
- Appointments of prescribed officers
- Appointment of auditors
- Company year end
- Appointment of company secretary
Administration services for structured finance transactions
- Lodging and registration of special purpose companies and trusts
Engagement with revenue authorities
- SARS income tax registrations
- Appointment of public officers
- Registering tax representative appointments
- Notifying SARS of company detail changes
Master’s Office liaison (Pretoria and Johannesburg)
- Lodging, following up and obtaining letters of authority in respect of trust deeds
- Searches and obtaining of copies of documents at the relevant Master’s Office
- Lodging of amendments to existing trust deeds
Other legal and administrative matters
- Non-resident endorsement of share certificates
- Authentication, notarising and legalising of documents for use overseas
- Obtaining B-BBEE certificates for newly registered entities
Our team consists of the following members